Skip to content

Union County, North Carolina

Image banner

Clerk of Courts

Clerk of Superior Court

J.R. Rowell
Phone: 704-698-3100
Fax: 704-698-3101


Phone: 704-292-2746

See full contact directory

What clinical services do we provide?

  • Children’s Health
  • Women’s Health
  • General Health
  • WIC
  • Medical Records

What community services do we provide?

  • ABC (About Breast Cancer)
  • Breast Feeding Peer Counselor
  • Care Coordination for Children
  • Child Care Health Consultant Program
  • Community Health Education
  • Parenting with a Purpose
  • Pregnancy Care Management
  • Public Health Preparedness
  • Vital Records

What are Union County’s privacy practices?

All patient services are confidential as required by North Carolina and federal law.

Communicable Disease Control Program

Communicable disease is defined as "illness due to a specific infectious agent or its toxic products that arises through transmission of that agent or its products from an infected person, animal, or reservoir to a susceptible host, either directly or indirectly through an intermediate plant or animal host, vector, or the inanimate environment." Communicable disease pathogens include bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and prions.

Communicable diseases can have a significant impact on the population. The surveillance and control of such diseases is an important part of protecting the public's health. The Communicable Disease program primarily deals with infectious diseases that are reportable by law.

The program also deals with other communicable diseases of public health significance, such as:

  • Influenza
  • Norovirus infection
  • Certain healthcare-associated infections.

For additional information please visit the NC Communicable Disease website.

The program responsibilities include:

  • Monitoring disease outbreaks
  • Monitoring reportable disease rates
  • Providing education to the public and medical community to prevent the spread of disease
  • Implementation of and enforcement of control measures to prevent the spread of infection.
  • Control and prevention of rabies and other diseases of animal origin that can affect humans.

Rabies is a vaccine preventable disease in humans, dogs, cats and ferrets as well as some domestic livestock. All mammals are susceptible to rabies and it is nearly always fatal. Rabies can be prevented in humans with timely and appropriate treatment. In North Carolina the disease most often occurs in wild animals especially skunks, raccoons, bats and foxes. Raccoon rabies is present in the raccoon population in virtually every North Carolina county. For additional information on Rabies please visit:

STD Health Services

STD and HIV prevention and control services includes providing clinical services, education and awareness efforts and monitoring disease trends through surveillance and epidemiology. STD Clinic provides testing, treatment and education at no cost to the client for:

  • Syphilis
  • Gonorrhea
  • Chlamydia
  • HIV / AIDS
  • Other sexually transmitted infections

NC DHHS STD/ HIV Information for Individuals and Families


Our Immunization Clinic provides vaccines to people of all ages, including those traveling internationally. Public Health offers vaccines for preventable diseases to reduce the spread of vaccine-preventable diseases within Union County. The following vaccines are offered through our immunization clinic:

  • Gardasil
  • Hepatitis A (Adult) – 2 shot series
  • Hepatitis A (Pediatric)
  • Hepatitis B – 3 shot series
  • Meningococcal Vaccine
  • MMR
  • Twinrix – 3 shot series
  • Pentacel
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Varicella
  • Tdap
  • Yellow Fever

In addition to vaccines, Blood Titer testing is available for the following:

Spanish Immunization Schedule (adults)

International Travel Immunizations

With the mission of public health to promote health, prevent disease and protect the community, International Travel Immunizations allow us to assist those traveling internationally the opportunity for disease protection. A Registered Nurse will review travel itinerary, provide immunization education and vaccination(s). A Vaccination record will be provided to you for your records.

Union County Lost and Found Pets

Online Search Instructions

Performance Guarantee Review Application



How do I apply for a commercial building permit?

The following items, if applicable, should be submitted for a commercial permit.

Building Code Enforcement

  • Three full sets of plans bound and labeled for the Commercial Building Inspector
  • Evidence of all outside agency approvals or submittals
  • Completed Union County Building Permit Application
  • Completed Union County Fire Prevention Permit Application
  • Completed Appendix B
  • Plans are in accordance with the Union County Commercial Plan Review Submittal Requirements document and the North Carolina State Building Code
  • One full set of plans labeled for the Zoning Administrator for projects requiring only zoning approval
  • One full set of plans, nine site plans, and a completed Land Use Permit Application labeled for the Zoning Administrator for projects requiring the issuance of a Special Use Permit
  • Plans designed in accordance with Appendix A of the Union County Land Use Ordinance

Public Works

  • Engineering – Water and Sewer
  • One set of plans labeled for the Union County Public Works Engineering Section
  • Plans designed in accordance with the Union County Water and Sewer Extension Ordinance for projects requiring a line extension
  • Plans designed in accordance with Public Works Commercial Site Plan Checklist for projects not requiring a line extension
  • Sealed Construction Drawings (1 set of each of the following, if applicable) labeled for Public Works Stormwater Section
    • Site Plans (site, final grading, drainage, erosion control, site details, etc.)
    • Roadway Plans (plan and profile)
    • Environmental Permitting Plans (if applicable)
    • Utility Plans
    • Sealed Calculations, Project/Stormwater Narrative, Programs' input/output, Exhibits, Maps Package (1 set)
  • Digital copy of all Federal/State program analyses associated with the project (HEC, TR55, etc.)
  • Copies of all Environmental Permits or verification of submittal to appropriate agencies (Sediment & Erosion Control, 401/404, Buffer disturbance, etc.)
  • Written approval for off-site construction or grading
  • Written approval for construction or grading in utility easements or rights-of-way
  • Digital copy of all submitted documents organized appropriately
  • Plans designed in accordance with Appendix A of the Union County Land Use Ordinance and the Public Works – Stormwater Section Submittal Requirements Brochur

Where can I find information about building codes?

What other Union County webpages will assist in understanding building code and procedures?

By clicking the above, registered users can apply for a permit online or register to be able to apply online. To manually submit a permit application in person please click the desired application form in the Popular Resources section of this page.

Log in to keep track of your favorite resources.

Commercial Inspectors

Commercial Building, Mechanical and Plumbing

Terry Griffin - 704-283-3594


Mark Griffin - 704-283-3643

Building Mechanical and Plumbing